Your garage is not just a place to store your vehicles and outdoor equipment. It is a part of your house and thus, the security concerns that you have with regard to your home must extend to your garage as well. A large number of burglaries and break-ins happen because the homeowners or residents forget this. The security of the garage door is as important as that of the front door of a residence since most of us use this as an entry point to the house. Here are some ways in which you can boost garage door security and not leave it vulnerable to break-ins.
• Do not compromise on the quality of your garage door as it is your home’s first line of defense against intruders. Get a sturdy, solid door fitted in consultation with qualified professionals who handle garage door installations.
• If you must have windows, have them at the top of the garage door as this can prevent a direct line of sight to where you might store essential and expensive equipment.
• Putting in a strong garage door with extra reinforcements such as an aluminum bottom rail for roller garage doors is one way of securing your space.
• Make sure to close your garage door every time you step out of the house and on your return home. Besides acting as an open invitation to any possible intruders, leaving the garage door open will afford a clear view of all valuables stored in
• You could use motion sensors to illuminate your garage in such a way that the light comes on when the door is opened. This can act as a deterrent to possible intruders and also come in handy when you are using the garage.
• If you have an automated garage door, ensure that you keep the remote in a safe place at all times. When keeping it in your car, the glove box would be the best place for it as this would keep the remote out of sight.
• When you have a key code security system for the garage, do not divulge the code to anyone. If you ever need to share it with someone, then make sure you change the codes immediately after.
• If you will be away on vacation or closing up the house for a while, make sure to put in a padlock apart from the usual security system that you use. A physical lock can prove a greater challenge to intruders and also increase the risk of being spotted by a neighbor or passerby thus, acting as a deterrent.
Being cautious is the first step to ensuring security and keeping these points in mind will help you do this effectively. A professional garage door company will be able to offer you the best solutions when it comes to garage door security. With a network of trained and certified technicians on hand, a competent organization with quick turnaround times is the way to go.